Trojan GC2 48V lithium ion golf cart batteries are a new and better solution for golf cart batteries as compared to lead-acid batteries.
Golf carts have always used typically 4-8 batteries lead-acid connected serially. For example, a 48V cart typically has quantify 6 of 8V batteries, quantity 4 of 12V batteries, or quantity 8 of 6V batteries. Because they are connected in serial, the same current goes through each battery. They batteries need to be evenly matched, and the capacity is set at the time you choose the model of battery you are using. If you don’t evenly match them, it leads to early death of the weakest, and then the rest cascade.
Trojan has introduced a 48V lithium ion battery – the Trojan GC2 48V Lithium-Ion Golf Battery. They are capacity sized so the typical golf cart needs 3 of them. You get the benefit of both increased cycle life of lithium-ion, plus the reduced weight. If you want a super long distance golf-cart, you can add more batteries in parallel.
The specs are impressive:
- Drives 45 to 60 miles on a single charge on a 3 battery configuration.
- Lasts 2-3X longer than lead-acid batteries (i.e. increased cycles)
- 8 year warranty
- Charges in under 4 hours versus 8-10 for lead-acid batteries
- Compatible with most existing 48V golf cart charger brands.
- No watering or other maintenance!
- Acid free! No corrosion, no acid drips, no charging fumes
- Longer maintenance free storage – Store batteries up to 12 months without issue in recommended conditions.
- Are lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries, the most stable of the lithium-ion variations.
- Self protecting. Each battery has a battery management system (BMS) that self-protects for safe charging and discharging, as well protection against overheating and other faults.
That’s the good news. The bad news is that for now, Trojan is selling them only to accounts that can buy multiple pallets – i.e. mostly golf cart distributors and/or fleet owners. But soon enough, supply will catch up and they will be readily available in regional warehouses. We will announce when we can supply them.